You can make a sorority t-shirt tote bag like this one in about an hour if you have your supplies handy. The directions assume that you have a sewing machine.
- sorority letter or mascot iron-on transfers
- basic sewing supplies
- sewing machine
Directions for Making Sorority Letter Bag:
- Iron the T shirt
- Fold the T shirt in half lengthwise
- Starting in the center front fold about 3 inches below the neckline; draw a "u" shape and continue a straight line up to the shoulder seam and armhole.
- Measure about 2 or 3" from this line at shoulder toward the armhole. Make a mark. Draw a second "u" shape down from the shoulder around sleeve and armhole.
- With scissors, cut out the straps using markings as your guide.
- Unfold the T shirt to see the results
- Turn T shirt inside out (right sides together) and sew along the bottom. (press seam for a better result)
- Turn shirt right side out.
- Fold under 3/8" of straps. Press
- With a zip-zag stitch, sew around strap.
- Place iron-on letters, symbol, or mascot on right side of garment.
- Following manufacturer's instructions, adhere the iron on to your bag
(NOTE: Other ways of adding sorority letters to a bag are with hand or machine embroidery, or painting the Greek letters with acrylic paints. For painting or hand embroidery, you will need to lightly sketch your sorority letters onto the bag with a pencil or fabric chalk)
Craft Time- about 1 hour
Some basic sewing experience is needed.
This idea was adapted from Joann.com